Wilburton Church of England Voluntary Controlled School
Our school has a Christian ethos and we are proud of our strong links with the churches in Wilburton. Four times a year, for the festivals of Harvest, Advent, Easter and St Peter's Day, we have a school service in St Peter's Church. These services are led by our Values Ministers, who apply for the position in school. Children also visit Wilburton Community Baptist Church, for example to sing at Christmas or to find out about the church. We also have termly visits from Christian organisations such as Genr8, but also welcome speakers from other faiths too. In school we have a prayer and reflection space which changes regularly and provides a space for children to reflect and write up thoughts or prayers they'd like our community to think about.
Although we have a distinctive Christian ethos, we are a community school, not a 'religious school' in the formal sense. We welcome and serve children and families from different faiths and none. We intend that our daily Collective Worship is inclusive, invitational and inspiring.
Separate to our Collective Worship and Christian ethos, Religious Education is taught as an academic subject. We follow the Cambridgeshire County Council Agreed Syllabus for RE. The aims of the syllabus are for pupils:
• to develop religious literacy;
• to acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions and world views represented in the United Kingdom;
• to develop an understanding of the influence of the beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities, societies and cultures;
• to develop attitudes of respect towards other people who hold views and beliefs different from their own;
• to develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements about religious issues, with reference to the principal religions and world views represented locally and in the United Kingdom.
Our School Prayer
Thank you for our school and all the people in it.
Help us to be the best we can be.
Keep us safe in all that we do
and look after our families and friends.